- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 3 c. dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 T. minced garlic
- 5 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 9 c. water
1. Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a crock pot.
2. Pour in the water and stir to combine.
3. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed. (if the water keeps evaporating then the temp. is too high).
4. Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid.
5. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
If desired, top with shredded cheese and serve with tortilla chips.
Crock Pot Girl