- 2 lbs. stewing beef or any of the cheaper cuts will do fine
- 2 lg. finely chopped onions
- 3 lg. chunky carrots
- 3 diced stalks of celery
- 2 lg. tomato---chopped (can be substituted by 2 T of tomato pure)
- 1 or 2 lg. red or green pepper---coarsely chopped (mild Shepperd or bell)
- 3 lg. potatoes---peeled and in lg. chunks
- 1/2 dried chili pepper
- 4 T. mild Hungarian paprika---(if not available use red Spanish paprika)
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. of celery seed (whole or crushed)
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- 2 T. lard---I substitute olive oil
- For spicer taste add Hot cayenne pepper to taste
1. Saute onions in oil until golden brown and remove from heat, adding paprika, stir quickly add a cup of water (the paprika flavor will get bitter if not diluted with water fast).
2. Now add remaining ingredients adding enough water to cover all.
3. Place in the crock pot.
4. Cover. Cook on Low 8-10 hours or High 4-5 hours. (timing depends on the type of meat-cuts used).
5. Once the meat is cooked tender and if you’re looking for a thicker stew, combine 2 T. cornstarch with 1/2 cup of water. Slowly add cornstarch while stirring.
Note: Traditionally sourdough rye bread or fresh baguette bread is the perfect accompaniment. Spices can be adjusted for your taste.
Crock Pot Girl