- canola or olive oil, for cooking with
- 4-5 lb. pork shoulder, preferably bone-in
- 1 large purple onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow or orange pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2-3 hot chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp. hot or 1 T. mild smoked paprika
- 19 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
- 1 T. brown sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup sour cream or crème fraiche (optional- Jamie spikes his with lemon zest and a handful of chopped fresh parsley)
For adults with a sense of humor, with this recipe you are sure to be a hit with this Halloween Pulled Pork Ghoul-ash, one of the best crock pot pulled pork recipes around!
1. Heat a drizzle of oil in a heavy skillet set over medium-high heat and brown the pork shoulder on all sides.
2. Transfer it to a crock pot or Dutch oven. (If you want to cook this in the oven instead of the crock pot, preheat oven to 325°F.)
3. Add the onions to the pan and cook until they start to turn brown; add them to the Dutch oven or crock pot; ditto the peppers, chile peppers and garlic. Add them to the pork and onions, and add the paprika, tomatoes, vinegar and sugar as well.
4. If you are using a crock pot, set it on low for 6-8 hour or if you are using the oven put a lid on the pot and put it in for about 3 hours. Take the lid off and test the meat – it should pull apart easily with a fork.
5. Remove any bones and continue cooking with the lid off if you’d like to thicken the sauce. Skim any fat from the surface, or cool the pork completely, then refrigerate it overnight; this makes it easier to pull the solidified fat from the surface, and it always tastes better reheated the next day, after the flavors have had a chance to improve.
6. Using two forks, shred the meat and distribute it through the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Serve over brown rice or split warm cornbread, topped with a dollop of sour cream or crème fraiche.
8. Leftovers are grand, and freeze well.
Crock Pot Girl