- 3 -4 c. potatoes, mashed, leftover
- 1 1/2-2 lbs. ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, large, chopped finely
- 1/2 c. celery, chopped
- 1 - 2 carrot, shredded
- 1/2 c. corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 1/2 c. sweet peas (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 6 oz. tomato paste, canned
- 6 oz. water
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. paprika (sprinkle on top of mashed potatoes for garnish)
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley
- nonstick cooking spray
1. Brown the ground beef with the onion, garlic, celery and carrots until meat is no longer pink; drain any fat.
2. Mix corn, sweet peas, salt, black pepper, tomato paste and water (fill up the 6 oz tomato paste can for measurement) into the ground beef mixture; stir well.
3. Spray the inside of the crockpot with non-stick cooking spray, or use the crock pot liner; pour meat mixture into the bottom of crockpot; press into the bottom of the crockpot so it is dense and even.
4. Spread leftover mashed potatoes (evenly) over the meat mixture.
5. Sprinkle the mashed potatoes with paprika (optional, for garnish).
6. Cover. Cook on Low 6 hours or on High 3 hours; then, remove the lid for 30 minutes to allow the potatoes to brown.
7. Sprinkle pie with fresh, chopped parsley (optional, for garnish).
VARIATION 1: FOR CHEESY SHEPHERD’S PIE–Add 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese to the pie by pressing the cheese over the meat mixture, and then layering the mashed potatoes on top of the cheese; Cook same length, same way.
VARIATION 2: RUNZA/CABBAGE SHEPHERD’S PIE–Substitute shredded cabbage (2 cups) for the peas and corn; cook same length, same way.
Crock Pot Girl