- 1 lb. Italian sausage (I like mild sausage)
- 2 large russet baking potatoes , sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 1/4 c. bacon bit (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 c. kale or 2 c. swiss chard , chopped
- 16 oz. can chicken broth
- 1 quart water
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream
One of my favorite recipes, Crock Pot Zuppa Toscana, is a family favorite. It’s one of those WOW dishes that when you serve it, people cannot believe YOU made it! Note: I’ve used link or crumbled sausage, it really depends on your preference. They will both add flavor and great texture to the soup. Enjoy this as a main dish or a starter. Enjoy!
1. Brown the sausage links in a pan OR cook it in a 300 degree preheated oven on a sheet pan for 25 minutes (or until cooked).
2. Cut links in half lengthwise, then dice into 1/2-inch slices.
3. Place cooked Italian sausage, chicken broth, water, garlic, potatoes and onion in slow cooker.
4. Cover. Cook on High for 3-4 hours until potatoes are cooked and soft.
5. Optional: Mash the potatoes a bit with a potato masher for texture.
6. Turn the crock pot off and add the kale.
7. Return the lid and let sit for 5 minutes.
8. Add whipping cream and serve.
Crock Pot Girl