- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium yellow squash, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced and chopped (optional)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- a pinch saffron strands, crushed
- 20-25 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 10-15 mint leaves, optional
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup red or brown lentils cleaned and rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans, boiled
- 1 bay leaf
Love, Love, Love this soup! Didn’t have Garbonza beans when I made this last time, but really better with Garbonza beans!
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
2. Add bay leaf, followed by garlic and cook for few seconds longer.
3. Add the onions, and cook for 5-6 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Add squash, cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, salt, saffron, cilantro, mint and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes until spices and herbs are nicely blended with the vegetables.
5. Transfer to crock pot.
6. Add 8 cups of water.
7. Add red lentils and garbanzo beans.
8. Cover. Cook on Low for 4-5 hours.
9. Add black pepper to taste and serve hot, after you remove the bay leaf.
NOTE: Add vegetables of your choice! Crock Pot Girl likes carrots in soup!
NOTE: Check at 2-3 hours as this has sometimes cooked very fast for me!
Crock Pot Girl