- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 green peppers, chopped (optional)
- 28 oz. can Italian-style tomatoes, cut up
- 6 oz. can Italian-style tomato paste
- 4 oz. can sliced mushrooms, drained or 1/2 cup
- Fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp. sugar (optional)
- 1/4 c. dry red wine
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 c. pitted kalamata olives or pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 2 to 4 T. snipped fresh parsley
- 4 c. hot cooked penne pasta
- 1/3 c. parmesan cheese, grated or shredded
- 2 T. toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Salt and pepper
1. Peel eggplant, if desired; cut eggplant into 1-inch cubes.
2. In a 3 to 5 quart crockpot combine eggplant, onion, green pepper, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, garlic, sugar (if using), wine, water, and oregano.
3. Cover. Cook on Low for 7 to 8 hours or on High for 2 to 4 hours.
4. Stir in olives and parsley.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Serve over pasta with Parmesan cheese.
7. Garnish with toasted pine nuts.
Crock Pot Girl