- 2 lbs. Pork Shoulder (Also known as Boston butt)
- 4 Cloves of garlic, minced
- Kosher Salt
- 1/4 c. Cilantro, chopped
- Juice from 1 Lime
- 1 tsp. of dried Oregano (per side)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 Sweet Onion, Diced
- 1 12 oz. bottle of beer or chicken stock
- Black Pepper to taste
- Watermelon Salsa:
- 1 c. Watermelon, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 c. White onion, cut into small pieces
- 1 T. Chopped cilantro
- 1 T. Seeded and chopped jalapeño
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Did you know that August 3, 2012 is National Watermelon Day in the US? Well, you do now! Watermelon is a refreshing treat on a hot day and I am seeing it being used more and more for salsa, martinis, etc. So of course, I had to come up with something I could CROCK to celebrate Watermelon Day. I hope you celebrate with these Crock Pot Pork Carnitas with Watermelon Salsa.
1. Start by seasoning each side pork shoulder with salt, black pepper and oregano. Rub the seasonings into the meat to help infuse the flavor.
2. After seasoning, place the pork shoulder in the crock pot.
3. Add the beer or chicken stock, and avoid pouring directly on the pork.
4. Place diced garlic, chopped cilantro, lime juice, bay leaf, and diced onion over the pork.
5. Cover and Crock on LOW for 10 hours, turning once after 5 hours. It’s done when you can poke at the pork with a fork and it easily falls apart.
6. Remove the pork and use two forks to shred.
7. Season with salt and pepper and give it a little squeeze of lime juice for additional flavor.
1. In a bowl, combine diced watermelon, onion, cilantro and Jalapeño.
2. Next, add juice of 1/2 of a lime and mix well.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Let the salsa marinate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Serve the carnitas on small tortillas and top with watermelon salsa. They both also make great salad toppings.
For over 400 more recipes, click here to get our eBook.
Crock Pot Girl