- 1-1/2 lb. chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
- 3 T. chicken broth
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 7 oz. pesto, basil
- 2 avocados, peeled and chopped
- 1 c. cubed Havarti cheese
- 4 whole wheat pita breads, cut in half
- Butter lettuce leaves
Crock Pot Chicken Pesto Pita is a great sandwich to ever serve on game days… You will be a hit!
1. Place chicken, onion, garlic, and red bell pepper in a 3-1/2 quart crock pot.
2. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and basil. Pour chicken broth over all.
3. Cover. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours until chicken is done.
4. With two forks shred chicken right in the crock pot.
5. Transfer to a large bowl and add mayonnaise and pesto. Stir in avocados and Havarti cheese.
6. Cut the pita bread in half and line with lettuce leaves.
7. Add warm chicken mixture and serve immediately.
Optional: If you prefer a cold sandwich, you can cool the chicken mixture in the fridge, then mix with remaining ingredients and serve as a cold sandwich.
NOTE: It will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
Crock Pot Girl