- 4 lbs pork roast (shoulder or butt)
- 2 onions, large
- 8 oz. ginger ale
- 18 oz. barbecue sauce, bottle of your favorite (I like Sweet Baby Ray's)
- barbecue sauce, for serving (optional - but if used should warm)
This Crock Pot Pulled Pork is definitely a make ahead recipe, but one you will make over and over again!
1. Slice one of the onions and place in crock pot.
2. Place the pork roast over the onion and cover with the other onion, sliced.
3. Pour the ginger ale over the roast and onions.
4. Cover. Cook on Low for about 12 hours.
5. Remove the meat, straining and save the onions, discard all liquid.
6. With two forks, shred the meat, discarding any remaining fat, bones or skin. Although, most of the fat will have melted away.
7. Transfer the shredded pork and the onions back to the crock pot, stirring in the barbecue sauce.
8. Continue to Cook for another 2 to 4 hours on Low.
NOTE: Serve with hamburger buns or rolls of your choice with additional barbecue sauce. If you have leftovers, you can freeze them for another meal. Shoulder or butt pork roasts are recommended because the meat shreds very well. Other cuts do not shred as well.
TIP: Pulled pork on a bun, well-wrapped and placed in the freezer make great ready-made sandwiches. To reheat, simply remove wrapping, wrap in a paper towel, and microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Crock Pot Girl