- 4 lb. pork, shoulder roast, boneless
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 celery, rib, chopped
- 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 c. apple cider
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more for your taste
- 2 T. butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 1 T. herbs, chopped fresh, Italian parsley, sage, or thyme
If you have been looking for a delicious Pork Roast like Grandma use to make, look no longer, as Crock Pot Apple Cider Pork Roast will be what you will want to serve for all those great memories!
1. Season pork roast with salt and black pepper.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Searing pork on all sides in the hot oil until browned, about 3 minutes per side.
3. Transfer roast to the crock pot.
4. Reduce heat to medium heat for the skillet.
4. Cook and stir shallots and celery in the skillet until they begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
5. Pour in apple cider vinegar and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until liquid is nearly evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes longer.
6. Place the shallot mixture over pork roast in the crock pot. Adding apple cider, garlic cloves, and bay leaf.
7. Cover. Cook on Low, until roast is fork-tender but not falling apart, about 6 hours. Turning the pork roast every 1 to 2 hours.
8. Transfer the pork roast to a plate and cover loosely with foil.
9. Pour remaining liquid from the crock pot through a fine mesh strainer into a large saucepan; place over high heat.
10. Discard bay leaf and other solids.
11. Bring sauce mixture to a boil, decrease heat and cook, skimming fat from the top, until reduced to 1/4 of the original volume, about 10 minutes.
12. Remove mixture from heat and stir in Dijon mustard and cayenne pepper.
13. Whisk slowly the cold butter into above mixture until incorporated.
14. Sprinkle in fresh herbs and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
SERVING: Slice pork into 1/4 inch thick slices and serve with sauce poured over the top.
Crock Pot Girl