- 1 c. water
- 2 T. sugar
- 3/4 c. white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 black peppercorns
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3 lbs. rump roast, trimmed
- 1 1/2 c. onion, large, sliced
- 15 cookies, gingersnaps, crumbled
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Crock Pot German Sauerbraten is a wonderful dish, although you must plan ahead, I know you will be delighted. Great served on buttered noodles, Spaetzel, potato dumplings, potato pancakes or with German Potato Salad!
1. In a large zip lock bag, combine water, sugar, vinegar, salt, peppercorns, cloves, bay leave and lemon. Seal Bag!
2. Toss ingredients in bag to marinade.
3. Put roast and onion in the bag; seal, turning to coat.
4. Marinate in refrigerator for 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
5. Place marinade roast in a 5 quart crock pot, reserving the marinade.
6. In cheese cloth, strain reserved marinade through the sieve into a bowl, enough to make 1 1/2 cups; discard the rest.
7. Placing the 1 1/2 cups strained marinade over roast.
8. Cover. Cook on Low for 5 hours or until roast is tender.
9. Remove roast from the crock pot; cover and keep warm.
10. Mix gingersnap crumbs with broth in the crock pot.
11. Cover. Cook on Low for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens; stir with a whisk until smooth.
12. Serve sauce with roast. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Crock Pot Girl